Parents often feel guilty when it comes to self-care. Taking time out can just seem “selfish” when there is so much to do! Everything else – the children, partners, friends, family and work tends to take priority. However, we all know that can only work in the short-term. We will eventually burn out and not be able to support our family or our workplace.
So, this holiday period, here are our top 5 self-care tips for working parents to ensure long-term mental and physical wellbeing:
- Remember – YOU are a role-model for your children. If you want your children to take care of themselves be the example!
- Everyone needs downtime – If you don’t fill up your “cup” with rest, good nutrition, hydration and exercise it will have a negative impact on your physical and mental wellbeing.
- No time? Self-care doesn’t have to take long. Stop and take a few long, slow, deep breaths; stretch for 5 minutes; take a short walk outside; make a nourishing meal; go to bed a little earlier… all of these short activities will add up over time and help you to keep your energy up!
- Stay positive – Watch a funny movie and make time to have fun with the kids.
- No alone time? Practice self-care activities with the kids. It will be good for you and the kids – Win Win.