WHOLESOME BUDDHA BOWL
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 cups long-grain white rice
2 chicken breasts
2 cups red cabbage
400g tin chickpeas
1 red capsicum
½ red onion
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
Salt, pepper, paprika and dried parsley to taste for seasoning chicken
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Drain the chickpeas and spread them into a single layer on a baking tray.
2. Bake for 30 minutes, shaking the tray every now and again. When they are golden brown and crispy, remove from oven and let them cool.
3. Rinse the rice. Add to a pot together with three cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
4. Cut chicken breasts into strips, season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika, and dried parsley.
5. Fry chicken breasts in a pan with a little coconut oil, until cooked. Slice up your avocado, capsicum, onion and red cabbage.
6. Assemble your bowl by lining the bottom with rice and topping with your delicious chicken, capsicum, avocado, red onion, cabbage and roasted chickpeas. Garnish with black sesame seeds and tuck in!
To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, simply replace the chicken with grilled tofu.
PakMag Tip: If you haven’t got one, a rice cooker is a fabulous investment for fail proof rice.