It’s Saturday morning, the kids have got a full morning of sports ahead and you want to fuel them in high energy healthy food. This is the perfect pancake recipe to start their active day.
Pre-workout snacks should be;
• High in carbs to fuel their growing bodies
• Eaten about 1-2 hours before a work out
• Ensure snacks are eaten along with fluids, preferably sipped, to hydrate
150g sifted self-raising flour
Pinch of sugar
Butter or margarine to grease fry pan
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a large jug together with half of the buttermilk. When smooth add the remaining buttermilk.
2. Add 2-3 tablespoons of mixture to fry pan. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear and cook until golden brown
3. Serve with peaches (or in season fruit) and a dollop of Tablelands ricotta cheese. Add a drizzle of honey
Dorothy’s Tips: Pancake batter can be used with sweet and savoury items. Use fruit in season for flavour and cost. Serve with tuna or salmon for a light pre-workout lunch or after school savoury snack. Adults may like to add capers to the salmon or sumac to ricotta cheese to add some extra zing.