Families throughout Australia, Ireland and Canada can walk together for the Walk for Prems virtual event this Sunday 25 October, showing their support for the 48,000 Australian babies born sick or before 37 weeks gestation every year.
Baby Bunting is the proud presenter of such a fantastic fundraiser, one that is close to many people’s hearts. Perhaps most importantly, the virtual Walk for Prems 2020 event will be a fundraiser for Life’s Little Treasures Foundation. The foundation is a dedicated Australian charity which supports the family members of such babies who are born too early or born sick.
The walk has taken place for the last 11 years, connecting people while raising awareness and funds for premature and sick babies. The cause is no different this year, however people are encouraged to walk in small groups only, on a 5km route, due to the coronavirus.
You can grab a friend, family member, workmate, or anyone who’s keen to complete the walk with you and show support. Most of the day will be run online, with speeches, family entertainment and more. There will even be awesome prizes up for grabs, including prams and Baby Bunting vouchers. The dove ceremony will see white doves released by a family who have lost a child and everyone will pause to show their respects.
How to Register for Walk for Prems 2020
You are able to register as either a team or individually through the Walk For Prems website. You can also find the day’s schedule online. Each participant will receive a 2020 Walk Medal for the 5km walk and a race bib. Merchandise is available for purchase for both kids and adults, including Life’s Little Treasures merchandise.
Prizes will be awarded for Best Dressed, Happiest Baby Pic, Kids Art Competition, Top Fundraisers and Scavenger Hunt Winner.
How Does Life’s Little Treasures Help Families?
Life’s Little Treasure’s produced digital products, ran support events and encouraged families to stay together, particularly in those first few days after getting home with the baby after leaving hospital, all through 2019/2020 despite COVID-19.
They also provide:
- Financial Assistance packages to 66 families.
- Information and resources to: 132 Hospitals; which included: 18,170 Tip sheets, 6656 NICU/SCN books, 804 Precious – Prem packs including 122 digital downloads
- Supplied 156 ‘NICU food from the Heart’ meals, despite COVID-19. Dad’s night, NICU food from the Heart Meals and our Brekkie Bars have expanded to 6 hospitals
- 12 sessions of ‘NICU connections’ Facebook group chat facilitated by trained peer-to-peer volunteers.
- Supplied 1593 ‘My Colourful journey’ Sibling colouring
- 1777 ‘Little Bag of Calm’ given to new parents.