What’s happening around Mackay this week? Here are a few of the things to do with the kiddies.
Halloween Movie Event – Warm Bodies
- Friday, October 30 at 4:30pm
- Gordon White Library
- 14+ young adults, join us for a spooktacular Halloween movie event. Come dressed in Halloween costume and you may win a prize! Parental discretion is advised. Bookings are essential and can be made online at www.bit.ly/1B48nRd. Please note that the movie rating is M14+. Light snacks provided.
Alex Williamson – That Guy From The Internet
- Friday, October 30 at 8:30pm
- MECC, tickets $35
- With over 2 million followers online and 59 million views on YouTube, Alex Williamson is a verifiable internet sensation, but he’s more than just ‘That Guy From The Internet’! Alex Williamson has created an endlessly entertaining experience that you can’t miss. Please note, this show may contain coarse language suitable for a mature audience
Friday Guided Walks – Secrets of the Tropical Shaded Garden
- Friday, October 30 at 10am
- Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens
- Come along to the last free Friday Guided Walk with Maya and other Garden Friends to discover some of the plants and creatures that exist in the Tropical Shade Garden adjacent to the Administration Building. Let us know if you wish to come along by contacting the Botanic Gardens and booking the date with us or meet us at the Administration Building / The Garden’s Shop just before 10.00am. Free Guided walks for groups can still be organized for the rest of the year by contacting Maya on 49527321 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Needing refreshments after wards? Try the tasty menu at the Lagoons Café and view the monthly art exhibitions in the Lagoons Gallery.
- Lagoons Café is open Wednesday to Friday 10am – 3pm and weekends 9am – 4pm.
Get Out, Get Active
- > Aqua Zumba – Elena’s Fitness Fusion
- Saturday, 31 October at 9am – 10am, Sarina Pool
- > Zumba – Nikolai Romanov
- Saturday, October 31 at 8.30am – 9.30am, Seaview Park, outside Kohuna Resort
- > Aqua Aerobics – AMG Personal Training
- Tuesday, November 3 at 9.15am – 10am, Mirani Pool
- > Pilates – T.H.R.I.V.E Mind Body Spirit
- Wednesday, November 4 at 9am – 10am, 984 Mt Charlton Rd, Cameron’s Pocket
- >Yoga – Inner Life Works
For the full schedule of activities and more details visit www.mackay.qld.gov.au/getactive.
SIGN UP for a Plein Air Workshop: Tonal landscape painting with Nick Leavey
- Saturday, November 7 or Sunday, November 8 from 9:30am – 4pm
- Artspace Mackay, tickets $110 gallery members or $120 non members
- Join Nick Leavey for a practical landscape workshop, investigating a variety of aspects of the Mackay urban landscape. Nick works using a tonal approach, and will guide you through this technique using demonstration and examples. The workshops will run throughout the day. You will be working in the grounds surrounding Artspace, which will allow us to explore a wide variety of subject matter. These workshops will be suitable for beginners, as well as those who have painted before, and wish to extend their range of skills to landscape work. Call us to book! 4961 9722
Offshoots: A Florilegium from the Cairns Botanic Gardens by Julie McEnerny.
- Until December 6
- Foyer Gallery, Artspace Mackay and Lagoons Gallery, Botanic Gardens
- Offshoots is a selection of botanical illustrations, etchings, paintings and mixed media artworks by Cairns artist Julie McEnerny. This exhibition will be appearing over two venues – Artspace Mackay and Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens. Visit Artspace Mackay Tuesday to Friday, 10am to 5pm and Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 3pm, or Lagoons Gallery at the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens Wednesday to Friday, 10am – 3pm and Saturday and Sunday, 9am – 4pm.
Bimblebox: Art – Science – Nature
- Until December 6
- McAleese Gallery, Artspace Mackay
- Bimblebox: Art – Science – Nature is a touring exhibition about the Bimblebox Nature Refuge, its environmental, social and scientific significance and an artist group’s creative response to their experience of this unique and threatened environment. The exhibition is rich, dynamic and diverse, including artworks in installation, works on paper, painting, artists books, photography, digital media and sound.