The Healthy Mind Platter features seven daily essential mental activities to optimise brain matter and create well-being. Designed by David Rock and Dr. Daniel J. Siegal, The Healthy Mind Platter creates an appetite for increasing awareness of how to nourish our mental well-being each day too.
“The key is balancing the day with each of these essential mental activities,” Dr. Dan explains on his website. “Mental wellness is all about reinforcing our connections with others and the world around us; and it is also about strengthening the connections within the brain itself.”
So what are the seven things we should be focusing on each day?
- Sleep – our brain needs rest. Sleep consolidates learning and helps to recover from the experiences of the day.
- Focus Time – focus time is work time – when we focus on goals, take on challenges and make deep connections in the brain.
- Play Time – for adults, play time allows us to be spontaneous and creative, to playfully enjoy novel experiences.
- Physical Time – exercise is an essential aspect to our mental well-being.
- Connecting Time – this is our social time when we connect to other people and to the natural world around us.
- Time In – this is our ‘me-time’ where we reflect internally, focusing on our thoughts and feelings.
- Down Time – down time is our non-focused time. There is no specific goal and we simply let our mind wander and simply relax.