With the lead-up to the Melbourne Cup in early November, it’s time to start the search for the perfect outfit and accessories. As mums we don’t often get a chance to dress up so take advantage of this special occasion – hire a sitter, grab the ladies and enjoy a lengthy lunch at one of the many venues around town.
What to wear? Liana Hastie from Sonlia sat down with PakMag’s style guru, Gerlinda Stella to discuss all things race wear:
Staying ahead of the race with the top trends:
- Hats are a big trend this season. Crowns, flower crowns and headbands or small headpieces are also a really on trend this season. Crowns especially look stunning with hair out or a high ponytail.
- If you are entering a Fashions in the Field competition, try and stick to a neat and polished look
- Off the shoulder styles, including cut out shoulders and amazing sleeve features in almost every imaginable style
- Frill sleeves, slit sleeves, puffy and embellished when teamed with a tailed style of dress looks stunning
- Lace is also another key trend in lots of striking styles and textures.
- High neck styles and neckties are also a big trend as are fishtail skirts and frill features.
- Colour combinations to consider include white lace, black and white, pastel shades such as pinks and icy blues, bright spring floral prints and metallics, especially golds mixed with nudes and navy
Mums in a rush – tips for perfecting your look
- A great way to make getting ready easier is to arrange a babysitter earlier in the day. This will give you uninterrupted time to get dressed.
- If this is not an option, you can begin to get prepared the night before. Wash, dry and straighten your hair and paint your nails.
- Don’t forget to pack essentials such as band aids, bobby pins, license, credit card, cash and race tickets.
- Arrive at the racetrack a little early so you can put your millinery piece on after you get out of the car as larger hairpieces can be damaged getting in and out of the car.
- Most importantly relax and enjoy your day out, you deserve it!