Barley Coconut and Popcorn Snack Bars are yummy, nutritious, rich in fibre and protein. Your kids will love these fuller for longer snack bars in their lunch boxes. In addition, they have no added sugar, are dairy free and vegan – all in one!
Recipe by Lakanto
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cook Time 15 Minutes 14 days’ worth of Lunch Box Snacks (if they last that long!)
2 Cups Pearl Barley
1 ½ Cups Rolled Oats
½ Cup Dried Apple Rings
1 Cup Dried Banana Chips
1/3 Cup Lakanto Classic Monkfruit Sweetener
¾ Cup Shredded Coconut
50g Coco Butter
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
4 Tbsp Lakanto Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp Popcorn Kernels (for Popping)
- Put the barley in a food processor to break the barley into smaller pieces (about 5 minutes) this is now (Kibbled).
- Sieve the barley and KEEP the barley flour set aside.
- Rinse the kibbled barley 3 times to remove excess barley powder (otherwise it will turn the water very thick when cooking) Soak the Kibbled Pearl barley for 20 Minutes in cold water
- Cook the barley for approx. 10-15 minutes in boiling water at least 4 time the water to barley. (1 Cup barley 4 Cups of water)
- Once cooked rinse under cold water until cold drain to remove excess water.
- Put the oats onto a baking tray and bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden.
- Cook the popcorn in the microwave until popped use coconut oil if needed.
- In a food processor Blend the Coconut, Apple, Banana chips, Classic Monkfruit Sweetener, blend until chopped, next add the barley, oats and maple until the mixture is slightly sticky (add the barley flour) to bind a teaspoon at a time.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking tray approx. 20cm x 15cm with greaseproof paper. Press down evenly and firmly to get a thickness of approx. 2cm.
- Put this tray in a preheated oven at 150c fan assisted for 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking blend the popcorn in a food processor with a teaspoon of classic sweetener. Until the popcorn is small enough to scatter over the snack bar
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and while hot sprinkle the popcorn over the top and press down into the mix. Place the tray into the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the coco butter until melted add the cocoa powder and maple until well combined then drizzle over the barley slab allow to set and cut into 12 bars.
- Cover and Store in the fridge for up to 14 days.
Tip: You can swap out the apple for different dried fruit apricots, dates, figs, pear.
Find more delicious recipes HERE.