To get into the Easter spirit, we’ve got tasty Lemon Shortbread Eggs for ya! A fun Easter recipe for the whole family.
• 250g butter, diced and softened
• ¾ cup icing sugar
• 1 ¾ cups plain flour
• ½ cup McKenzie’s Rice Flour
• ½ tsp McKenzie’s Baking Powder
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• 100g store bought lemon curd, or make your own if you’re up for a challenge
• Extra icing sugar to dust
1. Place butter into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Slowly add the icing sugar, mixing in well.
2. Add the flours and baking powder gradually, until all incorporated.
3. Fold in lemon zest. Remove to a lightly floured surface and bring together with your hands.
4. Roll out to ½ cm thickness and use egg shaped cutter to press out shapes and place onto lined oven trays.
5. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
6. In the meantime, pre-heat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced).
7. Bake trays of shortbread for 20 minutes or until just golden underneath. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on trays before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
8. To decorate, dust each shortbread with a generous layer of icing sugar.
9. With a small ice-cream scoop, place one dollop of lemon curd to resemble an egg yolk.