Hello and welcome to June.
It’s gearing up to the End Of Financial Year, which is a great time to get a fresh start. Not only physically by cleaning out the office and putting new plans into place, but also psychologically by reflecting, refocusing and re-energising.
I wanted to share my top ten tips for making the new financial year kick off with clarity.
- 1. Try Trello. If my last blog didn’t get you looking at Trello, now is the time to do it. You can literally plan your whole day, week, month, year and every project from a party to a product launch. I have boards set up for so many projects. It’s a great way to collaborate with your team, or set goals for yourself.
- 2. Look at all your software. Now is the time to make changes to new accounting software like Xero, or start a new Customer Service Management app (CRM) to manage your sales process, and do everything you can to get more cloud based. Here is a blog I wrote some time ago about the different apps that I use that makes me able to work anywhere, anytime.
- 3. Have a good look at your business plan. Dedicate some time, or a whole day on planning: do a S.W.O.T analysis; set some goals for the year; look at your costs and ensure you know your break-even points; and update anything that has changed. Plan like a pro and ensure you have some great goals in place.
- 4. Make an appointment ASAP to see your accountant. Should you be adding more into superannuation or making some purchases to lower you tax prior to June 30th? Now’s the time to find out.
- 5. Reflect on the past 12 months. What are you going to do more of? What are you going to do less of? What didn’t you do well? What did you do well?
- 6. Thank your current customers for their support. Think of something you can do to improve your relationship for the next year. For example PakMag are doing a Business Booster Club with Andrew Griffiths for our top clients to help them grow their business. What could you do to provide a solution?
- 7. Take a look at your website. Does the content need updating? Or do you need to get a whole new website? Click here if you want us to recommend someone fantastic!
- 8. Take a look at your brand. Does your logo or any of your positioning statements need updating? Do you need new marketing materials like business cards and uniforms?
- 9. Update your “About Us” section on all your social media channels, Website, LinkedIN etc. Even update your profile pictures. Ensure that you have consistency across all of your messaging.
- 10. Present your goals to your staff and family. Get their buy in and support. It’s hard work being a business owner. A goal shared is more likely to be achieved, so don’t be shy.
Running your business without a plan is like building a house without a blueprint. You need to invest time into planning, otherwise chances are that house is going to have leaky plumbing and could even fall over the next time a storm comes. Don’t be complacent.
There are 30 days left of this month, knock over what you can from this list and by July 1st you are going to be ready to kick some serious butt!
If you didn’t know, there was good news in the budget about the immediate deductibility of assets costing less than $20,000 (for small businesses with a turnover of less than $2 million) for purchases made after 7.30pm 12 May 2015.
If you were an eligible small business set to make a $20,000 taxable profit this year, bringing forward a $20,000 eligible asset purchase from July into June would reduce a small businesses tax to zero.
Please contact us if you would like anything prior to June 30th invoiced into this year, especially if you need to spend any last minute dollars. We can also assist by providing you with a tailored marketing solution to target local families via digital, print, and in the community. We are the number 1 influencers of the family market in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay.
If you are a business to business operator and are looking for a great gift for your clients, a subscription to our new national small business magazine MOB Magazine is just the thing. Click here for more information.
Thanks for all your support and I look forward to a wonderful new financial year with you.