ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE QUEEN’S BATON RELAY (CAIRNS)
Are you ready Cairns? The Queen’s Baton is almost here! This historic event puts our city in the spotlight, and brings along celebration, community spirit, and… some traffic delays. Here’s all you need to know about Queen’s Baton Relay coming through Cairns.
What is there to do?
TUESDAY 13TH MARCH
– Queen’s Baton Relay Tablelands Celebration Event
THURSDAY 15TH MARCH
– Queen’s Baton Relay visits Kuranda
SATURDAY 17TH MARCH
– Cairns Queen’s Baton Relay
– QBR at Cairns – Community Celebration
– QBR in Yarrabah – Community Celebration
– QBR at Innisfail – Community Celebration
– QBR at Mission Beach – Community Celebration
Will the Queen’s Baton Relay affect getting the kids to school, or getting to work?
Possibly. As the baton passes through the streets of Cairns and surrounding areas, roads will be closed and traffic delays on the day are to be expected.
Delays and closures are as follows:
FRIDAY, 16TH MARCH
- Queen’s Baton Relay arrives in Palm Cove at 7:30am (Free community breakfast held). START Poolwood Rd 9:00am. Parents taking their kids to school in the northern beaches in the morning may be affected by traffic delays. FINISH Holy Cross Primary School 10:50am.
- START Cairns State High School 11:45am. The relay will pass through Cairns North, Edge Hill and Manunda. FINISH Cairns West State School 1:40pm.
- START Cairns West State School 1:40pm. SIGNIFICANT traffic delays expected in the afternoon through Cairns city centre. McLeod, Shields, and Sheridan Street will be CLOSED from 3:30-4:30pm. The Esplanade between Shields and Aplin Street will be CLOSED from 4:30pm-5:30pm. FINISH Munro Martin Park 5:30pm. Free community entertainment to celebrate the Queen’s baton passing through Cairns.
SATURDAY, 17TH MARCH
- START Mt Sheridan Plaza 9:50am. The Queen’s baton will pass through Edmonton. Roads will remain open, but expect traffic delays. FINISH Walker Road Sporting Complex 11:10am.
Be sure to arrange alternative transport if needed, or travel a different route to get where you need to go!
Feature image courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland. Photographer: Romy Bullerjahn.