12 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR BABY IN CAIRNS
It can often be hard to find places ideal for young children to enjoy, so here are 12 ideas for where to take young children in Cairns.
What is there to do and see?
1. Muddy’s Playground – Muddy’s stretches along part of the Esplanade and is perfect for younger children. The playgrounds are made up of both dry and water elements.
2. Cairns Esplanade Lagoon – The Lagoon is a perfect place to swim without having to worry about stingers or crocodiles. The beautiful pool can be enjoyed at any time of the day and is within walking distance to restaurants and ice-cream shops. Keep in mind the Lagoon closes regularly for maintenance purposes.
3. Playgroups – If you’re up for some adult socialisation, why not consider joining a playgroup? There’s plenty all over the region that meet regularly, allowing you to socialise with other parents and your baby to socialise with other babies.
Check out www.playgroupqld.com.au
4. Cairns Aquarium – The Cairns Aquarium is the perfect for families and young children, with heaps of interactive areas and opportunities to get up close with a variety of different animals.
5. Beaches – The Cairns beaches are also a great place to swim during most parts of the year. Some of the most popular beaches include Four Mile Beach, Trinity Beach, Palm Cove and Ellis Beach. Be sure to read the signs and swim between the flags, being mindful of stingers and crocodiles.
6. Australian Butterfly Sanctuary – located in Kuranda, the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary is the best place to experience a variety of butterflies up close and is perfect for people of all ages.
7. Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas – Home to hundreds of animals as well as the famous Breakfast with the Birds. Enjoy breakfast surrounded by heaps of birds or just simply visit for the day.
8. Botanic Gardens – The Cairns Botanic Gardens are home to a number of different attractions, almost all of which are suitable for younger children. Entry is free, so enjoy a day surrounded by lush gardens and animals.
9. Cairns Libraries – The local libraries offer a variety of activities for little ones, including Baby Rhyme Time, Story Time and more. There are a number of library branches around Cairns, so there is bound to be one local to you.
Check out www.cairns.qld.gov.au/library
10. First 5 Forever Playtime – Playtime sessions run on a monthly basis at Sugarworld Parklands. Join in for fun learning activities, story time and songs perfect for babies, toddlers and children under five – and you’ll meet some other parents along the way.
11. First 5 Forever Splash & Sing – Experience rhyme time sessions together with your child at Tobruk Memorial Pool. Sessions include stories, rhymes and active movement songs ideal for six months and up.
12. Goomboora Park with plenty of open space, large trees, a children’s playground and waterhole, Goomboora is a great place to spend the day with young children.